York University on-campus Assistance:

It is hard to ask for help. The pressure, the stigma, the fear of not being taken seriously. It is hard to be vulnerable in a society that promotes invulnerability.

Remember that there is nothing to be ashamed with, that there is nothing wrong with asking for help. Reaching out even when it is hard, especially when it is hard, is strength within it self.

What To Do In An Emergency 

Do you feel in crisis right now?
Are you feeling like you might hurt yourself or other people?
Are you afraid that someone you know might hurt themselves or other people?

Here is what you can do:

  • Access the Emergency Department of your local hospital.
  • Access the Crisis Center located at York University 416-736-5297
  • Call your Psychiatrist or your Family Doctor. Ask if they can see you now. Your doctor could help you get into a hospital.
  • Call your Mental Health Worker. Tell them you need help.
  • Call the Mobile Crisis Line. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can come to where you are, if you need them.They can also provide you with other supportive services.
  • York University also has a 24/7 confidential crisis line called Good 2 Talk  1-866-925-5454 http://www.good2talk.ca
  • Access 211 Toronto Official Crisis Information website: http://www.211toronto.ca/topic/emergency-crisis-services
  • Phone 9-1-1 if someone’s life (or yours) is in danger. Ask for an ambulance or police to help you get to the hospital.
    When you call 9-1-1, the operator will say, “Emergency. Do you require Police, Fire or Ambulance?” If you do not speak English, try to have a family member or friend help you. If this is not possible, try to explain that you do not speak English. Say your language in a calm and clear voice. The 9-1-1 operator will try to find out which language you speak. If they ask you questions, repeat your language only. For example, say “Tamil”.

In Toronto/City of York: Gerstein Crisis Centre – call 416-929-5200

In Etobioke and North York: Saint Elizabeth Health Care – call 416-498-0043

In East York and Scarborough: Scarborough Mobile Crisis – call 416-495-2891

If you are looking for Information & Referral services in Ontario: